Polished concrete floor is the latest trend amongst the contractors from all across the world. Unlike Vinyl floor, polished concrete doesn’t require waxing and stripping every year and save the users a large chunk of money. However, every flooring system requires some sort of care and maintenance to uphold its finish.
Though polished concrete involves the least maintenance cost amongst all flooring options, several techniques or steps can be used to increase the lifespan of your floor. Below are the best 10 tips to maintain the gloss and durability of your polished concrete floor:
- Use microfiber pad to clean the floor and remove the dirt particles from micro digs. Concrete has soil as its ingredient, which functions as an abrasive and attracts the dust particles. And when stacked, these dust particles may ruin the shine and clarity of your concrete floor.
- During a wet wash of the concrete floor, ensure you use the clean mops and clean water. In commercial buildings, automatic floor scrubbers are used to clean the concrete floors. Bucket cleaning is preferred way in residential buildings.
- If the floor sees heavy traffic and high amount of dirt, it is recommended to make use of a neutral floor cleaner in wet mopping the concrete floor. Using plain water may not always be sufficient to remove all dust particles from the floor. Neutral floor cleaner is created to suspend the dust and debris easily.
- Wash the stains and spills as soon as you notice it, so they can’t be absorbed by concrete surface and decay your floor.
- When you apply a cleaner on a concrete surface, give it sufficient time to mop all dust and debris from the floor. This is very crucial when the floor contains sticky and hard-to-remove particles like grease.
- There is nothing wrong in being systematic. It becomes more essential when the cleaning is required for large areas of concrete floor, often the case in commercial properties. You can start mopping on one area and then gradually move to the next in a proper sequence. With this approach, one can ensure they don’t miss a single place on the floor in the cleaning process.
- Don’t let the cleaning agent become dry, or it may increase your efforts to clean the floor. As said earlier, you can go systematic way. Divide the entire floor into small areas and clean the solution from the first area before you move on the next.
- Use only pH neutral material as a cleaning solution. Avoid using ammonia, citrus cleaner, bleaches, pine based cleaners and vinegar, as they are not pH neutral materials.
- If the floor seems to be losing its shine or polish, you may dry-run a high speed burnisher over the floor. Wet burnishing is also possible with the use of ‘Guard’, a polished concrete solution. Burnishing will grind the dirt on the floor and pop the shine back.
- Typically, one should re-new polishing of concrete floor after every two years. Concrete floor polishing equipment can be purchased or taken on rent from Diamatic USA based on your needs.
With proper maintenance and care, you can extend the life of your polished concrete floor. Follow the above tips and keep the beauty of your floor intact.
[January 29, 2013]