A major advantage of concrete floors for all building owners, home owners and facility managers is the great number of design options they offer. Not just concrete can be stained to resemble any hue, there are concrete floor finishes to match tiles and marbles’ appeal. Not to be outdone, there are plenty of other design ideas and décor options available for concrete floors out there.
No other flooring solutions provide you with such versatility and abundance of design options. Apart from the conventional finishes, concrete floors now see new range of compelling design, thanks to the advances in finishing techniques, materials and tools.
Available concrete floor finish options:
- Adding dazzle with metallic coatings
- Garage floor coatings
Out of these 6 concrete floor finishing techniques, polishing is the trendiest option. In polishing method, concrete floor surface is ground with a concrete grinding equipment (both new and used concrete grinding equipment available over the internet for sale and rent) to obtain a high-gloss finish.
The Process of Concrete Polishing
Some flooring contractors combine staining and polishing to achieve an excellent, marble type of look. And interestingly, polished concrete never requires coating or waxing. Polishing concrete can be compared with wood sanding. Heavy duty polishing equipment are comprised of finer grits of diamond-impregnated segments or disks (as similar to sandpaper used for wood sanding). Flooring contractors make use of such heavy duty concrete grinding machines to grind down the concrete surface to the desired level of gloss and smoothness.
Polished concrete is suitable for both new and old concrete floors. So, if you have a dull looking old concrete floor, grab the opportunity to redefine its look with concrete polishing. However, polishing may not be a feasible option for floors that are wavy and extremely porous. In order to learn if your old concrete floor is suitable for polishing, you may consult an experienced flooring contractor in your area.
Top benefits of polished concrete floors:
- In polishing process, porous concrete is transformed into a dense surface creating a dust-free environment
- Higher slip resistance value than any other floor coating solution available in the market
- Polished concrete floors require low maintenance and installation cost too is much more affordable. Moreover, they are easy to maintain.
- Due to high density, polished concrete floors are more durable
- A well-polished floor can last as long as 20 years, or even more
- Polishing concrete can increased strength of old and deteriorating concrete surfaces. And the cost of polishing is much lower than installing new flooring system
- Higher co-efficient of ambient lighting saves you big amount on electricity bills and make the rooms look bright and shiny
- Polished concrete floors are better than the best when it comes to appearance. They are sleek, glossy and smooth!
- No waxing and stripping needed for maintaining polished concrete
- Polished concrete doesn’t see moisture transmission issues as it allows the floor to breathe
- Polished concrete floors have higher resistance to foot traffic
- Lastly, Polished concrete is inherently green or sustainable alternative as it does not require hazardous coatings, cleaners or adhesives
For all these benefits and more, polished concrete is fast becoming the ultimate choice of businesses and residents alike.
[August 29, 2013]