The choice of a polished concrete floor is becoming more popular and it is not only found in businesses. Many people are using these types of floors in their homes due to the advantages of polished concrete floors.
- They last a long time
- They can be made to look like many other, more expensive, materials
- They are easy to maintain
While it is possible to rent the equipment and install a polished concrete floor yourself, most homeowners will benefit from a polished concrete floor contractor to do the work. Before they choose one, they need to know what to expect.
- Experience – A contractor needs to have the experience that is needed. There are plenty of people that may say they offer polished concrete services, but that does not mean they are experts in the field. Make sure that the contractor that is chosen has experience with the product and can show the work they have done in the past. Do not turn to a contractor that says they can do anything you want if they have never tried it before.
- Equipment – Installing a polished concrete floor requires special equipment. There is the need to polish the concrete in steps and there are many steps in the process. It is possible to rent the equipment that is needed to do the job. It may be better to look for a polished concrete floor contractor that has purchased their own equipment. There may be times when it is okay to rent the equipment. It can allow a contractor to get a special piece of equipment for a specific job, but that contractor should have the experience needed to use the equipment properly.
- Put it in writing – A good contractor will put everything in writing. They will give details about what type of polished concrete floor will be done, the size of the floor, when it will be done by and most importantly, the cost of the floor. If they are not willing to do that, find a contractor that is.
Turning to professionals for polished concrete services is no different than finding any other professional to work on your home. The time and effort that is spent finding a contractor you can trust is worth it. While it is possible to fix a polished concrete floor that is done poorly, it can become expensive. It is better to make sure it is done right the first time and not try to fix it later.
[March 16, 2015]